There are plenty of steelhead and lake run brown trout in the river and it look’s like the next week or so is going to provide us with some decent weather and some comfortable conditions to get out and fish. Things are supposed to cool down quite a bit this weekend but it looks like next week is going to be quite mild with temps in the high 30’s. (10 Day Weather Forecast For Newaygo) We got a nice little bump in the water level with yesterdays melt and conditions look good.
Any of the usual winter steelheading methods can produce:
- Swinging streamers (Black, purple, blue and sculpin patterns are good winter choices)
- Back trolling plugs
- Bottom bouncing with nymphs and egg patterns.
- Fishing beads, nymphs, buggers and jigs under bobbers.
- Stripping large streamers can yield some very large browns this time of year
- Those nymphing for trout will find succcess with worm patterns, scuds, and hare’s ears.
Current River Conditions (@ below Croton Dam):
- Flow Rate: 1950CFS
- Gage Height: 5.47ft
- Water Temperature: 34 Degrees Fahrenheit